Thursday, May 20, 2021

Answering PipeTobacco's question

Sunday went fine as did Tuesday when I was leading bible study. The day after I've led a study or something I sort of flop, in relief. Basically prepping and flopping is pretty much all I've been doing for the last few days. 

Except exercise class and cooking cakes yesterday, and having grandchildren for tea. Yum yum.

But today I've already delivered food and cake to Zac's, and written a letter to the Health Secretary questioning him about money allegedly spent on PPE that was useless. Yes, I'm impressed too.

I was also thinking about a number of other things that I need/want to do, but, at this moment, feeling I need a good shake to get myself doing them. And I can't be bothered.

The weather isn't helping. It is, as the weatherman forecast, wild and windy today. I wonder what has happened to summer. We are usually approaching the end by late June but this year it hasn't begun at all. Really hope this means the school holidays in August will have good weather for a change.

Oh yes, PipeTobacco asked about Zac's and the sort of church it is. Christian, obviously, like Linden, but neither fit into any denomination.

Let me think.

Linden Church, congregation probably about one hundred, main meeting Sunday mornings, also has meetings in houses during the week, and prayer meetings. Also has a community arm, which includes dementia choir, prison work, youth work, and refugee support. Main Sunday meeting takes the form of  worship (singing), prayers, speaker. That's a very loose explanation.

Church at Zac's. A small group of people who meet on a Tuesday evening for bible study, prayer, and mutual support. Some of those who attend also belong to other churches. Others have been damaged by their previous church experience or just wouldn't fit in with an 'ordinary' church for one reason or another. Currently Zac's covers Thursday and Friday in the city rota for providing lunch for the vulnerable. In non-Covid times, breakfast is served every day for the homeless, and there is coffee bar on Thursdays. Plus a second-hand clothes and essentials (toiletries) bank. 

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I read somewhere that, in our current times, "denomination" means nothing anymore to younger adults (the non-geriatric crowd that every church wants to attract in order to be viable). Identifying with those former demarcations over split hairs of theology is now seen as a liability, so most churches don't even indicate denomination on their signage/literature anymore. Especially those evangelical churches on the American model which peddle a dangerous mix (in my opinion) of assorted right-wing nonsense.

Marie Smith said...

Such great work for small congregations! They sound wonderful.

Chuck Pergiel said...

Dementia choir?

Janie Junebug said...

I ponder the dementia choir, and wonder if it is musical therapy. People who can't remember much of anything else often know the words to familiar tunes.

Love,
Janie