Sunday, April 25, 2021

Shall I expressively dance for you?

Noticing the title of my last post, as I write this, I think to myself, interestingly enough I have just reached the bit in the book all about the making of Born to Run. Not a very interesting fact but true.

While sitting in the sunshine that is. It's beautiful weather again today. Yesterday Husband and I took GrandSon4 and GrandDaughter3 out for a walk to give their parents time to: work on his PhD; rest and recover from her first covid jab.



We walked up a big hill opposite their house. GrandDaughter3 was happy really even though she doesn't look it here. It was a seriously long walk for a two-year-old but she did it all by herself. In fact she is an independent little soul and doesn't like having to be helped.

Finding an old ruined house and bits of disused farm equipment simply made GrandSon4's day.

Here Granddad explains how a carburettor works. 

And today the other local bit of family is coming round for a barbecue. I do lovely family times.

* * * * * * *

Last night we  watched The Dilemma, described on Amazon as an insanely funny film. The critic must have been thinking about something else when he wrote it. But the previous night we watched The Mauritanian. 

Once I'd got over the shock horror of Benedict Cumberbatch with a Southern States drawl I thoroughly enjoyed it, although perhaps 'enjoy' is the wrong word. Definitely worth watching.

The treatment meted out to the 'hero', a prisoner in Guantanamo Bay, is beyond description. That it could be approved and condoned by the American government raises serious issues. And how the perpetrators could actually do it to another human being is - I am lost for words.

We've started looking for films to watch as we've finished all our regular series - except Line of Duty, which is only on one episode at a time. Giri Haji ended weirdly - is expressive dance a big thing in Japanese films? - and rather disappointingly. Both main characters have killed people but you sort of don't want them to be punished. Very mixed emotions.

7 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

What subject is your Son’s Ph.D. studies focusing upon?

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

Ouch.... I switched tense mid-sentence...... should of course be “are” in the above. My apologies.

PipeTobacco

Liz Hinds said...

Human impact on coral reefs (I think). He and his wife spent three years in the Perhentian Islands working on an environmental project they set up there to study, the effects particularly of divers on the wildlife.

PipeTobacco said...

So, is he a biologist, or a sociologist?

PipeTobacco

Liz Hinds said...

More biologist. I think his original degree was in environmental science.

Marie Smith said...

Time with grandkids is always great!

I am at a loss as to what to watch on Netflix. All I do is scroll through.

pam nash said...

Family time is the best! Myself - I don't want to watch "ripped from the headlines" stuff. Not entertaining. I can get my thoughts provoked easily enough reading the news. TV - I want to be entertained! Wish the producers/etc agreed.