Friday, March 05, 2021

Thinking deep thoughts

For a large chunk of today I have been preparing to lead bible study on Tuesday. We're on Romans chapter 7, which according to one of the respected commenters, is very difficult to understand. Or words vaguely to that effect. I've certainly found it so.

When I prepare I first read the passage and make my own notes. Then I look at study guides, see if they agree with me. Usually I'm on the ball or thereabouts, but in this chapter they seem to read a lot more into it. Anyway I've ended up more confused than I started. *

We also had a lovely walk with George. Sun is shining this afternoon although there is still a chilly breeze on the sea front. It feels as if Spring really is in the air.

I've changed the header on my website and author emails to this:

It's a photo from a few years ago but it looks like that now on the promenade.

Incidentally on my website I discuss an idea I'm considering. Please read and give me your thoughts if you would like. Or not. It's up to you. 

With leftover spag bol for dinner I feel quite relaxed. I must have forgotten something. Oh yes, to do my Welsh lesson. I'll do that now. I got a bit depressed yesterday when I realised I'd seemed to have forgotten a lot of what I learned previously. But I knew it was never going to be easy. Not at my age. (Good excuse for most things.)

* Do we need the law to tell us what's right and wrong? A problem pondered by thinking minds throughout the centuries. Now it's your turn.

6 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Liz:

I tend to think having a law (in regards to right and wrong) is beneficial mostly for SOCIETY rather than the individual. But, in that regard I think we do NEED it. The law gives us a universal (within the society) framework that all can better understand and adhere to.

In my opinion, Romans 7 suggests that no HUMAN law negates or supersedes God’s law.... and for me, I interpret that to mean that I am continually called to serve others and to love, and to help others EVEN when I find it inconvenient, hard, or sometimes even unsavory. And, when I do NOT do this, I am breaking a great, true, and undeniable law of how we SHOULD be.

And I hate that I am so unsuccessful at living this, God’s Law due to my inherent selfishness and laziness.

One other note.... (presuming this posts)..... I have had another bad commenting week or so where many posts do not seem to post when I make comments...... but I tried a few times.... and maybe this one will survive:

I was delighted to see you write about feeling some positives about running!!!! Your comments mirrrored many of my own initial comments. You MIGHT really get into running over time..... it seems the “running bug” is attempting to bite you! :)

PipeTobacco

Liz Hinds said...

PipeTobacco, You say: I hate that I am so unsuccessful at living this, God’s Law due to my inherent selfishness and laziness. That's exactly what Paul says, 'I do what I don't want to do and don't do what I want to.' But we are living under God's grace so we don't have to hate ourselves or beat ourselves up.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Romans 7? Good luck! I cannot brain today.

Marie Smith said...

Your photo is beautiful. We have meters of snow and minus temperatures still.

Ella said...

I like the daffodils!
Thanks for visiting

Liz Hinds said...

Debra, even more confused today but at least now I have some experts on my side!

Brrrr, Marie!

Thanks, Ella.