Thursday, January 07, 2021

Looking forward to some wide open spaces

After bible study on Tuesday I started pondering. Lots of people are suffering in one way or another because of the virus and lockdown. When Husband had cancer the promise of the words of psalm 18 brought me comfort.

There's one line especially:

He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.

At about the same time a woman in church sang a song about wide open spaces. Both these things came into my mind so I decided to make a little video of the song with some photos, as I thought it might be helpful to remember that we will get out into wide open spacious again one day. Lockdown, Covid, won't last for ever.

I thought maybe you'd like to see it too - it's only about 2 minutes. And then I'll tell you about the lengths I had to go to to create it!


Debbie sang the song back in the early nineties. I loved it so much that I acquired a tape of it. So first thing I had to do was find the cassette. That was the easy bit.

Then came the realisation that I needed something to play it on. 

More digging and I came up with this:

So far so good. Then I had to find a wire for a power source.

I looked where I'd kept the machine; nothing there. I looked in the big box of we-don't-know-what-they're-for-but-they-may-be-useful-one-day wires.

The only thing with a little round endy bit turned out - when I'd finally untwisted and unfurled it - to be ear phones. There was nothing for it: I'd have to brave the inside of this:
Yes, Husband's Man Tin.

And, what do you know? I found the right bit and it all worked. Okay, the quality of the sound wasn't the best but it was there.

What next? Oh, yes, get the song from the tape to the computer. Husband started talking about EAR sockets and connecting thingies to whatnots but then he discovered the microphone didn't have a whatnot so he left me to it. 

I simply held the microphone over the cassette player - initially over the tape bit but then I realised it needed to be over the where-the-sound-comes-out bit - and that was it.

The rest was simple in comparison.

You see, when I really want to do something I can be determined and dedicated. If only I took those qualities into all of my life.


11 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A lovely song -- and wow, terrific sound quality for a 30 year old cassette!

pam nash said...

Determined and dedicated - the best way to roll!

PipeTobacco said...

Very nice song! It is always a hassle to try to combine old and new technologies!!!! You did a great job!

PipeTobacco

Tams said...

Really blessed me Liz thanks for all the effort xx

Polly said...

Oh my word, we had one of those cassette players! And we have had a box of assorted cables for 10 years, they are all jumbled up and I have no idea what they are for but don't want to throw them away just in case some of them might come in handy!!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Every house has a box like that. If we joined them all together, they'd reach the moon....

Suburbia said...

I'm impressed!

I thought I'd pop by to see how things are. I do miss blogging and catching up with everyone. x

suburbia said...

Hi Liz, it's me Suburbia - that last comment was mine - !

nick said...

I admire you for persisting with the technology. I would have given up pretty quickly! I love wide open spaces too, and there are plenty around Belfast. I always find them refreshing and invigorating.

nick said...

I expect most houses have a box of assorted cables "in case one of them comes in handy some day". We have a very full cable box. And just occasionally we find one we need!

LL Cool Joe said...

I obviously need you to help me out at my next gig when my equipment dies.

Yes one day things will be back to "normal", I just hope I'm alive when that happens!