Tuesday, September 22, 2020

And so the day goes downhill

I had a lovely morning walking in the woods with GrandDaughter3 so why did I suddenly slump in a miserable little heap this afternoon?

I concluded it was because, on the way home in the car, I listened to the Prime Minister's statement on the radio.

Increased Covid restrictions, an anticipation that they will be place for six months, and the threat of worse to come, all contributed. Plus talk of getting the economy going. And no-one even mentioned the freefall that is Brexit.

When lockdown came a majority of people when asked, valued the health of the nation above the economy. Today, for Conservative voters, the economy and our health are rated roughly the same. 

I appreciate that it has to be a careful balance, and that the economy has to be kept afloat, but I suggest that an ailing population is not good for the economy either. I'm glad I don't have to make decisions.

A couple of specific points from the PM's statement:

1) He kept referring to the NHS Test and Trace system. as I understand it it's not the NHS doing it but private firms run by buddies of the PM (and Dominic Cummings);

2) He said, "Mr Speaker, these rules and measures will only work if people comply. There is nothing more frustrating for the vast majority, the law-abiding majority that do comply, than the sight of a few brazenly defying the rules." Most of whom are Tory ministers or friends or family.

Anyway, I've just read that the American Senate has voted in favour of allowing Trump to nominate the replacement for Ruth Bader Ginsburg in the Supreme Court.

I was having a brief discussion on whatsapp with my son about the value of petitions and demonstrations. I acknowledge his point that they're mostly pointless but what can we do?

I'm going to give up reading/listening to the news.


7 comments:

Polly said...

I share your concerns but I am in the herd immunity camp. People are more important but if we cripple the economy so many more people will suffer. Don't get me started about those greedy incompetent buddies of Johnson, particularly that Dido woman, she is robbing us blind, why is it allowed to continue?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A media fast is a good idea every now and then, I agree.

Marie Smith said...

Covid numbers have been going up in parts of Canada though not here on the east coast. Central Canada received warnings today about lockdowns etc again. This is far from over.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Elder grandson goes back after his class's isolation period (classmate positive) today while younger grandson's entire year started their isolation stint( teacher's assistant positive) yesterday.
According to Johnson's waffle, it seems to be their fault.

WD-40 said...

Since I am among those whose lives don't seem to be of much value to anyone but family, I worry that people think it better that we die than that we suffer economically. WWII was worse than the worst of the lockdowns that we're apt to go through. I shall just buck up.

pam nash said...

That's my suggestion - turn off the news for a while. None anywhere is good and unfortunately this minute, nothing to be done unless you figure out how to slap common sense into a whole big bunch of people.

Cop Car said...

An interesting listing was in yesterday's newspaper breaking down the 41 new cases of COVID-19, from Monday and Tuesday, for our area (about 500,000 people or so). Broken down by non-uniform age groupings, they listed: 0-9 years (1), 10-17 (2), 18-24 (7), 25-34 (10), 35-44 (12), 45-54 (1), 55-64 (6), 65-74 (1), 75-84 (1), 85 & older (0). I'm pleased to note that we must be doing something right in trying to protect the old.