Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Before Band Aid there was Blue Peter

Before Band Aid and Comic Relief there was Blue Peter.

Every year in the lead-up to Christmas children across the country would be urged to send in their milk bottle tops to buy guide dogs for the blind. 

I was reminded of that this morning when I was putting my milk bottle tops in the recycling bin and wondering whether I should. 

Of course in those days everyone had milk delivered in glass bottles, and you could tell what sort of milk it was by the colour of the top. We always had silver top. If you were lucky and the milk had been standing the cream would have risen to the top and there is nothing like cream of the milk on your breakfast cereal.

I was fortunate being an only child: there was no-one to fight with me for the cream of the milk. Gold top, I think, was milk from Jersey cows and traditionally richer and creamier. Was there a red top? I don't recall. Nobody bothered with all this skimmed milk nonsense back then.

I do know that at weekends my gran had a bottle of sterilised milk - identified by its narrower bottle and metal top - delivered to use for making our Sunday rice pudding.

Mmmm, I feel hungry just thinking about it.

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Over here, we collected pull tabs off soft drink cans to buy wheelchairs for disabled kids.

Marie Smith said...

Great memory. We didn’t have milk delivery. l guess it happened but not at our house.

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, it wasn't just milk bottle tops, Debra. Sometimes it was used stamps or later plastic bottle tops.

Were you living somewhere remote even then, Marie?

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Here it was plastic bottle tops for support dogs.

Anonymous said...

I think we all fondly recall milk deliveries. My paternal grandfather had a prize-winning herd of Jersey cows which my mother helped milk (by hand, of course) before and after school. We had only to go to the cellar to skim cream off a crock of milk for our oatmeal in the early days. Later, Mother's youngest sister's husband delivered milk in Tulsa.

When our granddaughter was in primary school, we saved "box top" coupons for her to take to school. I no longer recall their use. That was, after all, 25-35 years ago.

These days, our great-grandsons have us save pull-tabs - not necessarily from drink cans, but also from canned foods (corn, peaches, etc) that are sold in tab-open cans. I think their school turns them in to obtain playground equipment.
Cop Car

Liz Hinds said...

There were all sorts of collections for all sorts of causes, Sonata.

Recycling in one form or another is popular again now, CopCar.