Monday, January 06, 2020

Should have had a haircut

I knew I should have booked a hair cut before going to weigh in today. Two pounds on. Now, on the grounds that a) it has to be eaten, and b) I won't be weighed for another week, I think I should eat some Christmas chocolate tonight.

Yesterday we had a vegan feast for dinner. Younger Son and Nuora aren't exactly doing Veganuary but they're sort of doing it so I borrowed a recipe book from the library and served up Moroccan squash tagine, spiced chickpeas, and sweet potato and coconut curry.
I couldn't be a vegan: I love milk, cheese and butter too much. These dishes were actually things I could have made for vegetarian Daughter without an emphasis on it being vegan. If you see what I mean. There were no strange or specially-bought ingredients. The tagine was supposed to have pigeon peas in it. Not having a clue what a pigeon pea was I assumed I could use a pack of frozen green peas until I googled it and found pigeon peas are a legume more akin to chickpeas. As I was already serving chickpeas I used kidney beans instead. 

But there are extremes in veganism as in any other sort of ism. Some vegans, for example, won't eat honey considering it as being stolen from bees; others are concerned about the trans-continental transportation of colonies of bees for pollination purposes - which rules out a whole load of crops.

But as Younger Son pointed out, if you go far back enough through the food chain you'll find something dodgy about many foods. 

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Have the chocolate and then get a buzz cut.

Marie Smith said...

The chocolate sounds good!

Ole Phat Stu said...

Oh dear, Liz.
Whatever happened to those New Year Resolutions?

You DO come across as a weak-willed person :-(

Liz Hinds said...

Salted caramel chocolate (of ethical origin) was good!

What New Year resolutions, stu?!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

"Salted caramel chocolate is recommended by 9 out of 10 doctors for weight loss…"
I'm sure I've just read that somewhere...

Liz Hinds said...

I knew it, Sonata!