Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Cactus and the Crown

Someone gave us this Christmas cactus last year and it's now coming into full bloom.
I only started watching The Crown fairly recently but am addicted to it now. I'm still on season 2, where currently it's the Profumo affair. At a time when Prince Andrew's friendship with convicted sex offender Epstein is making the news it's particularly fascinating to see how Prince Philip's likely involvement in this particular social scene is handled. I have yet to find out.

Elizabeth became queen the year I was born so it's not only her story that is being told. I am finding out a lot about the political history that more or less passed me by at the time. Although I knew the names - Suez, Eden, Keeler - it didn't mean much more to me than that.

For instance I didn't know that Harold Macmillan was a cuckold, his wife carrying on an affair for thirty of the forty years of their marriage. Or that Antony Armstrong-Jones was such a lad! (I assume the events included had some truth in them.)

It's also eye-opening to see how the other half lives, or perhaps not completely the other half but certainly the monarchy. I'm guessing things have changed a little - indeed we see them changing early on in the series - but whether our future kings will be as open to more change as we may hope is questionable.

Then again do we want much change? Is it perhaps the tradition and etiquette that is so fascinating to visitors to our country? We're told the monarchy brings in so much money through tourism. Would that be the same if the king was just like us? 

I have mixed feelings about monarchy. Part of me is opposed to it but when our political parties are in such a shambles and our prime minister is a proven liar it is a relief to know that the Queen at least has principles and morals.

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I would gladly ditch the whole lot of them. The idea of hereditary monarchy is so anti-democratic that it's quite offensive. And supporting them and their lifestyle with tax money? Outrageous! I don't know why you Brits put up with them. The Queen is our head of state in Canada too, but at least we don't have to pay for her upkeep, only for her travel/security costs if she or some other royal tours Canada. However, the royal family still remains mildly popular here too, with no help from me.

nick said...

I also have mixed feelings about the monarchy. The Queen has little or no say in the process of government, and the other members of the Royal Family are mere hangers-on. Okay, some of them support charities and good causes, but they don't have to be Royals to do that.

On the other hand a presidential system also has its drawbacks, as we can see in the USA.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

I have not watched the series but many of my friends have recommended it to me.
I should watch, even if it's for historical purposes.
And I love that xmas cactus! I've been saying I'm gonna get one for years. I should give one a try, too!

XOXO

Marie Smith said...

I too have mixed feelings about the monarchy. I fear the queen will be the last of an era. The younger ones will not have the same dedication .

Anonymous said...

What a lovely cactus, Liz. My mother always lamented her "inability" to get the most out of Christmas cacti; but, I never saw why she was upset. Hers, too, were lovely!
Cop Car