Monday, August 19, 2019

The theory of relativity doesn't work

In the car today I was listening to a programme, one in a series, called A Brief History of Mathematics. When the presenter, a professor of maths, introduces the day's subject by saying, 'This is quite hard to understand - even Einstein struggled with it,' you can bet your bottom dollar that it's going to be beyond my understanding.

I'm still getting to grips with Euclid geometry - I did once get 99% in a geometry exam - but I was okay until they got onto imaginary numbers, theoretical physics, n dimensions and the theory of relativity. And it was only a fifteen-minute programme.


Even Carl Friedrich Gauss, jolly clever man sometimes referred to as the Prince of Mathematics, kept his ideas to himself for a long time for fear that he, who of all people was most respected, would be mocked.  

I mean, did you know that 'Without the mathematics to describe curved space and multiple dimensions, the theory of relativity doesn't really work'?
No, nor me.

5 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

That's probably why I can't, then…….

Ole Phat Stu said...

Actually, relativity and gravity can be well explained together using Kaluza-Klein theory, in five dimensions.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaluza%E2%80%93Klein_theory

Liz Hinds said...

Indeed, that's what i thought, Sonata.

I'll make sure I read that, Stu, when I've got a brain.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You know, they say that mathematics is the language of God.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Missed opportunity for a pun, you should have written "When I get a brane" ;-)