Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Sweet sorrows

Tonight in Zac's we have a return visit from the Sweet Sorrows, consisting of Sammy and Kylie Horner. Music with an Irish beat.

Last week Steve was leading the study - I thought - but at 7.55 he wasn't there. In fact no-one except me from the 'leaders' was there. I checked what we were supposed to be considering - prayer - and jotted down some quick questions that might last us through maybe thirty minutes if we were lucky. Hung on for another ten minutes, quietly panicking, then took the stool and had just begun to call for quiet when the door opened and Monty came in. 'I'm here,' he said.
'Are you doing it?' I asked.
'Someone hasn't been reading their whatsapp messages!'

I hadn't, it was true, because for some reason it wasn't working for me that afternoon. Apparently there had been first a message from Steve saying he was unwell, then a message from Monty saying he could do it, and then another message from Monty saying that he would be there but not until the last minute.

Technology is a wonderful thing - when it works. I could have been relieved of a whole lot of panic if only it hadn't let me down.

* * * * * *
And that was a busy week. A lot of time spent waiting for phone calls, people, appointments, and all on someone else's behalf. Also being verbally attacked. It's disappointing when a person you've supported for a number of years turns on you. Ah well, such is life at Zac's.


3 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

That's why your participation is so vital, of course. As the nuns always used to say "You'll get your reward a hundred times in Heaven".

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh dear. Sounds like turn-the-other-cheek time. Still distressing, though.

Liz Hinds said...

I hope so, Sonata.

Yes, it's just hard sometimes, Debra - when you want to slap someone!