Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Just a crane in the woods

white crane tai chi
The white crane - is what it's supposed to be
After a visit to see someone in hospital left me feeling stressed an hour of tai chi in the woods was just what I needed.

As part of his job Younger Son organises events in the woods and today's was mindfulness and a taster Tai Chi session with two experienced teachers. The sun shone, the birds sang and all was well in the world again. Even the fact that I couldn't tell right from left didn't spoil it.

'Imagine you're pushing down the clouds,' the teacher said.

There are lots of different types of tai chi and the one they were teaching us was Sun style, the youngest - although it's over one hundred years old - and it's especially effective for relieving stress, as well as being ideal for arthritis sufferers.

After the teachers and others had gone Younger Son filmed three of us trying to remember the sequence - the form it's called - that we'd been taught. (I have to say I felt as if I looked a lot more professional than I apparently did.)
I've not convinced about the taking energy out of Mother Earth bit but it was relaxing and enjoyable. 

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Beautiful! I love tai chi.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I'm full of admiration… you all managed to do it without getting tied in knots.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to learn Tai Chi. I love your practicing place.
what a great life you have!

Liz Hinds said...

It was enjoyable, Debra.

I just flapped around a bit in the wrong places, Sonata.

I do have a great life, Tammy - although I was ready to kick a wall on leaving the hospital so I really needed it.