Monday, May 27, 2019

How to save time and stay sane

I've written before about decision fatigue - Elder Son complained about all the clocks in our kitchen saying a different time and he had to decide which one was right thus wasting brain energy/time - and how it leads to time wasting and the inability to make important decisions. Well, I realise that each day I am subjected to such a detour. I think that's a good description. I am going about my day happily enough when I am faced with this:

ocd, pills
Which pill do I take? My OCDness comes into play here. That one? That one? Or that one? Which one is least distressing to the pattern, such as it is? 

I could do as Husband does and just take any old one; in fact Husband deliberately goes out of his way to take odd ones. (Is it a cunning plan to finally drive me crazy? No, he'd say I'm already there. The fact that I consider this worth writing about - and some would say wasting time - suggests he could be right.)

I'm not even sure what they are. Husband says, 'Take them,' and I do. Some sort of vitamins I think.

Perhaps what I need to do is take the packet out of the drawer, close my eyes and just pop one. That would work. I think. If I can resist the impulse to look.

P.S. I'd never thought of myself as being OCD until I read an article that I refer to in this post I wrote about my dependency on anti-depressants.

9 comments:

nick said...

I'm very methodical about my blood pressure pills. I work my way steadily along each row, one by one. No random picks. No weird habits like every third pill. Boringly systematic.

Liz Hinds said...

That would suit me, Nick.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

If I have any pills in a blister pack, I pop them out in order from the first pill to the last. It would never occur to me to pop them out in any kind of random way. Maybe I'm OCD too! I'm fine with that.

Ole Phat Stu said...

So how does hubby know if he's missed one?

CherryPie said...

I would have to pop them out in order starting from the top row.

Liz Hinds said...

Me too, Debra.

He has his morning ritual, Stu.

I know, Cherrypie. Me too.

Anonymous said...

Like most, I think, I would start at the upper left corner and work across the row, etc. OTOH: No way would I ingest anything without knowing what it was. Yikes!
Cop Car

Geo. said...

The only pill I have in a blister-pack card is some Dulcolax I bought a couple years ago after a medication change and didn't use all of. All other medications come in pharmacy vials or OTC bottles (like aspirin). Have always thought blister-packs are a silly way to package medicine.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Surely the best way is to follow the packet days methodically.