Monday, March 25, 2019

What Scott Walker had to do with Ena Sharples

The walker Brothers
Scott Walker, he of the fragile face and glorious voice, has died aged 76.

I remember watching The Walker Brothers on TOTP when my gran came in and insisting on switching over to her programme. I burst into tears. It didn't make any difference to my gran. No pretty boy was going to get between her and Ena Sharples.
The announcement of his death this morning led to two things. The inevitable discussion between Husband and me:
Me: Were they really brothers?
H: The Walker Brothers. Clue is in the name.
Me: But what his real name Walker?
H: He was one of the Walker Brothers so yes.
From that we digressed into how many there were and who sang You've lost that loving feeling. (Righteous Brothers and, no, I don't know if they were really brothers but I'm sure there were two of them.) Shall have to google all this in a minute.

The other thing was that Scott was 76. 'That's only ten years older than me. I could be dead in ten years.'
Husband: 'People have died all through your life.'
'Yes, but more are dying now. And they will as we get older. (Bear with me, I'm getting there.) So why am I dieting?'

Google update: not one of them had the surname Walker. And the Righteous Brothers weren't brothers or called Righteous. But there were two of them.

Incidentally, apropos of nothing, Davy Jones of The Monkees, as a young boy, played Ena Sharples' grandson on the soap, Coronation Street.

4 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I shouldn't worry, everyone's living till their late '90s these days… unless the thought of being 99 wories you, of course.

Liz Hinds said...

No, I'm fine with that. At the moment I don't feel old and can't envisage ever being old. In my family we tend to go early or late. I missed the early wave so hopefully I'll be here for a lot longer.

nick said...

I knew a woman who was totally besotted with Scott Walker. She had every single thing he had ever released. If she's still alive, she'll probably be devastated.

Liz Hinds said...

Gosh. My infatuation soon wore off, Nick. I was a young flibbertigibbet.