Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Good fortune or good God?

At the beginning of the year Sean sent out a timetable for Tuesday nights' bible study at Zac's. According to it I was due to lead tonight on the subject of Zaccheus.

Friday afternoon, as I had some spare time and a busy weekend ahead, I settled down and read, researched and planned the study so all I'd have to do this week is practise it.

Saturday morning, in the shower, something clicked in my brain: hadn't we revised this month's timetable for various reasons? I checked and Steve confirmed that he was leading tonight. Excellent news. That gave me more time this week to rehearse my talk for the women's group on Thursday and prepare for the holiday i.e. spend a morning in town in a fruitless effort to buy a bathing suit.

This morning I woke to a message saying Steve was unwell and could anyone stand in for him. 'Yes! I can!'

If I hadn't prepared already I would be crazy busy today, panicking and stressing. As it is I'm just crazy. 

Fortuitous or God? I know what I believe.

And, yes, Zac's Place is named after Zaccheus.
Zaccheus by B-Squashed

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Was Zaccheus the short guy who sat in a tree to hear Jesus preach?

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, he was. A tax collector ex-communicated by the Jews and called a sinner because he worked for the Romans. Jesus demanded to go to his house for tea, hence the name Zac's place! All sinners welcome!

Ole Phat Stu said...

John Newton wrote a neat poem about Zacceus, go read it if you have not already done so. You could quote it in your preaching.

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, Stu. I've just read it. I may indeed quote some.