Monday, February 04, 2019

Do I remember Errol Flynn

Pressed my turbo button this morning. Slightly depressed to realise it had gone rusty from lack of use but did manage to fit in a bit today including visiting my cousin/godmother in a nursing home.

She is an invalid and has gone in permanently because her husband is seriously unwell and unable to cope any longer. They're both 87 by the way.

She was so pleased to see me it quite made my day. As did one of the other - I suspect slightly loopy - ladies who kept saying what a lovely smile I had. 

June aka Olive looked well and for much of our conversation was with it, if repetitive, but every now and then she mentioned her father having been to see her and still doing occasional shifts on the railway even though he's retired. Uncle Jim has, of course, been dead for at least forty years. 

errol Flynn
I would say it's very sad but she is happy. Content with where she is, the company - 'they're all very friendly' - the food, the views of the bay, the nice cups of tea. 

And she still has that spark, the sense of humour. Although I think she was serious when she said, 'Do you remember when we used to go mad over Errol Flynn?'

But at least she could see the funny side when I said, 'Oi, do you mind? I'm not that old!'


3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Anyone in a nursing home always loves visits. They break up the monotony of institutional life.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

He scrubbed up well, didn't he.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

My mother was in a nursing home after she broke her back. She enjoyed herself. I was worried that she was so happy, she'd not work at the therapy to get herself out. She did heal and return home, but she was kind of down for a bit. She missed the constant comradery she had there.