Monday, November 12, 2018

Would you want a monkey watching you sleeping?

 Castell Coch is often described as a fairy-tale castle. It's on a hillside outside Cardiff and we've driven past it hundreds of times. The original medieval castle was almost completely destroyed but in the 18702 it was rebuilt for the Third Marquess of Bute. At the time he was one of the richest men in the world and no money was spared in the rebuilding and decoration even though the castle was only ever a summer residence or convalescent home for Marquis' sick children. William Burges, the art-architect, was given free rein in the design

As befits the birthday girl, a banqueting table. A lot of the walls had stencil designs originally.
Detail from Drawing Room wall
Today the castle is owned by CADW and is having work done on it so there is scaffolding all over the outside - so no photos out there.

The drawing room ceiling.


Lord Bute's bedroom. If he fancied a bit of a cuddle he needed to go up a narrow windy staircase to his wife's room.

Lady Bute's bedroom

They don't make bathroom units like this any more.
The ceiling of her ladyship's bedroom


Including a mural of monkeys.

Very lovely but I'm not sure I'd want them in my bedroom.
Reminds of Great-auntie Vi who after decorating realised she had monkeys on her front room walls.

10 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, people have an inexplicable fascination with monkeys which quite escapes me.

Polly said...

No I wouldn't want a monkey watching me sleep, or anywhere else in the house.

Leslie: said...

Went there 2 years ago with Jane. I remember they told us all about the "sanitation system." Quite fascinating how they managed it. I would visit there again!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I'd love the monkeys but since living in a house like this seems to involve chilly drawing rooms and permanent worry about a leaking roof, perhaps not.

Jacqui said...

Incredibly grand interior. I'm not sure about monkeys in the bedroom, but I think the wall covering of different sorts of animals in the drawing room is lovely.

nick said...

The ceilings are amazing. And was it the usual practice in those days for husbands and wives to sleep apart? I wouldn't stand for that myself, I have to sleep next to my loved one! As for monkeys, the only monkeys hereabouts are securely caged in Belfast Zoo so I don't think I need worry about finding them in the bedroom.

PipeTobacco said...

Liz:

Beautiful images! I apologize I have been away. It has been a struggle to muster up energy to do much of anything lately. But, I am back and plan to be more active again.

I hope that all is well. I will work on catching up with older posts later today.

PipeTobacco

Liz Hinds said...

I do like monkeys, Debra, and these are beautiful but ... I'll probably go with Polly.

It is interesting, Leslie.

The owners lived on the Isle of Bute and then in Cardiff Castle in the summer, occasionally popping up to Castell Coch for a bit of hunting, Sonata. Rich enough to not to have to worry about building maintenance.

The drawing room has a 'Wow!' quality about it, Jacqui.

I think it was the norm for separate bedrooms, Nick. Don't Liz and Phil have separate rooms?

I've missed you, PT. Hope you win the battle.



Anonymous said...

Hunky Husband (HH) and I carry on the family tradition of separate bedrooms. Neither his parents nor mine slept in the same room. Unlike the couple in Castell Coch, HH's bedroom is above mine (I can keep track of him, that way - lol.) HH's bedroom is kept at 5-10 degrees warmer than mine, in spite of which, he sleeps with an electric mattress warmer, flannel sheets, and two heavy comforters - year round (and he wears flannel pajamas year round). I sleep in a sleeveless summer gown (TMI!) under a single sheet most of the year. (Just now, I'm sleeping under two sheets!) In our case, opposites attract, making it impossible for the two of us to get a night's sleep in the same room, let alone in the same bed.

Don't feel too badly, Nick. HH knows where I am and I know where he is when we wish a "little cuddle"
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

P.S. I should have made it clear that the temperature difference between the two bedrooms in 5-10 Fahrenheit degrees.
CC