Sunday, October 14, 2018

A bit of coffitivity

coffitivity
At first glance coffitivity sounds like a word Trump made up and, to be fair, it probably is a made-up word. It's also the name of a website and the product they're selling.

According to research carried out by the University of Chicago, "A moderate level of ambient noise is conducive to creative cognition." Meaning a bit of background chatter stimulates your thought process.

So the website provides a library of downloads you can choose from including morning murmur, lunchtime lounge and university undertones. You can choose to pay for chatter from Paris, Brazil or Texas. 

I've listened to the first three and I have to say it's hard to tell the difference between academic discussion, early morning mutterings and lazy lunchtime chats. I've had it playing while writing this post and it hasn't distracted me though whether it has fuelled my fervour is less easy to judge.


8 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

If I was at home I would put the radio on . Even the TV.. This would annoy me " it would distract me for being so annoying X

Ole Phat Stu said...

I'm sure the background chatter from texas would be white noise ;-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Interesting website and word! I think the underlying idea is sound, though. (get it, get it? I know, groan, right?)

Liz Hinds said...

I found I got used to it very quickly, Anne, so much so that it faded into the background. Whether that would help creativity I don't know.

Probably, Stu.

Yes, groan, Debra!

nick said...

I knew a young girl once who could only concentrate properly and think efficiently if there was background music. Without that, she was all over the place.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Why would you want to listen to someone else's early morning muttering? Or is everyone else silent till lunch?

Polly said...

I often have the radio on in the background, but I like the sound of the chatter.

RCA said...

very nice post!