Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Family gathering 2018

I think I mentioned on here before that after eighteen months of family funerals I decided it was time to have a family gathering that didn't demand black and tears.

A number of people who'd originally planned to come were unable in the end so our numbers were down but I think it's safe to say that all those who attended had a good weekend.

We began on Saturday evening in our local Prezzo. An aside: do restaurants really need to play loud music? Apart from that the food and the company were good.

When they advertised it as mini dessert they weren't joking.

From left: Gareth, me, Husband, Deanne, Rhian, Debbie, Carol, John, Daisy. They had come from York, Surrey, Taunton, Cardiff and Swansea.

Sunday everyone came to our house for a lunchtime celebration.

Tony teaches in a boarding school and one of his pupils had given him this ham.
That's Tony and his wife, Rhian, toasting the ham with champagne. The stand was specially made by Tony and the woodwork teacher in the school. Put together incredibly professionally in just 45 minutes. Tony and Rhian offered to bring it to the lunch party and I was very grateful to them for the offer as it made a great centrepiece. (And a quick google suggests it's worth hundreds of euros.)

As an alternative I cooked a salmon and found myself thinly slicing cucumber just as Jennifer Aldridge (The Archers) on the radio was suggesting the same dish for Ruth's birthday party.
But I'm better at desserts.

It was a beautiful day and we were able to sit in the shade and enjoy the food, reminiscing and browsing through old photo albums.



Until next year!

No comments: