Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The one about order and chaos

You know what vineyards look like? Like this one in Italy, right?
Think again. Here's a vineyard in Lanzarote.
The same wonderfully ordered rows but this time the individual vines are grown in holes each with its own wind barrier.
You can't see very well in the photo below but, as in Italy, the hills are covered with the same neat arrangements. 
We spotted a vineyard for sale but as Husband said, 'It would be awfully hard work.'

* * * * * * * *
Unlike the vines I am anything but orderly. Chaos has a habit of following me.

Thus it was no surprise that I walked into a plate glass door nose first. Or that as I turned and stumbled away squeaking in pain I tripped over a table.

A little more surprising that i had a strange effect on the hotel restaurant toaster. I say that rather than saying that I broke it because I don't think it was really broken.

One morning I decided to have scrambled eggs on toast so I popped my bread into the toaster, you know the sort ...
Except the toast coming out of the bottom was rather more tanned than that. I like mine just lightly coloured so I had the brilliant idea of turning down the temperature.

Resulting in warm bread. I turned it up again and had the same result: warm white bread. I was holding up the queue so I hurriedly snook the toast onto my plate and casually wandered away.

As we left the restaurant much later I noticed a woman standing staring in confusion at her warm bread. What could I say? Nothing obviously.




2 comments:

CherryPie said...

Those toasters have a mind of their own. We usually have to put the bread through it twice to get it anything like toast.

Liz Hinds said...

I thought the fact that it had a setting button would have helped, Cherrypie! But I was wrong.