Wednesday, March 15, 2017

A hazard to myself

I sometimes think I shouldn't be allowed out on my own.

I always struggle with bags, keys, scarf, and glasses. Last time I bought flowers I may just as well have paid for them, dropped them and jumped up and down on them the number of times they ended up on the floor on the way to going home.

And then today, as if that wasn't enough, I got in the car, turned on the radio and the music that came out was Rondo alla Turca by Mozart. The very music I chose to focus on during my long slow first labour. (Choosing music to sing along to/concentrate on to distract you from the pain was encouraged in those days; I don't know if it still is.) Instantaneously I was back in that delivery room breathing, panting, pushing, screaming. 

I switched the radio off.

3 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I find it interesting that you chose music for your labour. Didn't know women did that back then. ���� I certainly didn't.

Liz Hinds said...

It was supposed to help us focus on something other than the pain, Anne.

nick said...

An unfortunate association with a piece of music. Certain pieces of music make me indescribably sad but I couldn't say why. Something from my past presumably.