Friday, September 16, 2016

Face the fear and ... what comes next?

I'm not good with heights. Or windy spiral staircases. But I'm fighting it. Whereas in the past I'd have said, 'No way, I'm not trying that,' these days I'm more open to having a go. To a certain point anyway.

There's a high railway viaduct over the Stura river with a walkway at about one third of its height.
To get to the walkway you have to climb a spiral staircase. Walking over the bridge was a doddle compared to the climb up!

 

And you know those bridges you see Indiana Jones rushing over just before the rope holding it up is slashed? Well, this was just like one of those. Apart from the fact that it was made of fairly solid wire and slats. Still the principle was the same: it wobbled especially in the wind. I told Husband I wasn't going to go across and waited until he'd crossed and disappeared into the woods on the other side before I set foot on it because I knew if we were on it together he'd jump up and down to make it shake. He's like that. 

As I walked over I kept repeating to myself, 'This is perfectly safe. You can do it, you can do it.' When I finally reached the other side two thoughts jostled in my brain. 'Hooray, I've done it!' and 'Oh no, now I've got to go back again!'

There were 91 steps (spiral of course) to the top of the bell tower in La Morro. We had cool drinks and waited until the bell had chimed two o'clock before we climbed up. We'd just reached the top when it chimed two again! I tell you, you don't want to be that close to a bell when it chimes.


No comments: