Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What does your garden grow?

The trouble with being a gardener who doesn't know anything is that I don't know what plants are or, thus, how big they'll grow.

I bought a pack of 12 cottage garden plants a while back and the only clue to what they were was written on the sort of egg-boxes they arrived in. I transplanted them into bigger pots to let them grow a bit before facing the wilds of the garden but I acregully (that is carefully badly typed!) kept them in order and retained the packaging. Only problem is that by the time I got round to planting them out - yesterday - the writing on the packaging had faded.

I know they include lupins, which I haven't had much success with before, so we shall see. The photo on the left shows my intended cottage garden, with, on the right, George protection. (I think I mentioned before that his deadly enemy lives just behind that fence.)

In my head I have such plans ...

2 comments:

Katney said...

My careful maps usually succumb to the weeds.

Rose said...

Don't be too hard on yourself, Liz! I have trouble knowing what many seedlings are, too, even after I've grown them for several years. I'm hoping the huge plant growing at the back of my butterfly garden (better known as the Garden of Chaos) is the Joe-Pye weed I had last year, and not a giant ragweed. If it doesn't bloom and I start sneezing uncontrollably, I'll know it's the latter:)