Sunday, March 28, 2010

What did I come in here for?

A nice sunny afternoon and I was able to go out and do the first bit of hoeing of the year.

I'm a bit disappointed that more of the perennials I planted haven't survived. This may, in part, be down to my inability to tell the difference between a weed and a perennial that's just thinking about waking up. But I say, 'If you don't want to be treated like a weed, don't look like one.'

My plum tree is still alive though and the raspberries. In fact, now I remember, that's why I came in: to find out when I should have pruned them and whether I can do it now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, did you say 'hoeing'? I feel a joke coming on........

nick said...

'If you don't want to be treated like a weed, don't look like one.'
My feelings entirely. Bona fide plants will just have to buck their ideas up a bit.

Rose said...

Don't feel bad, Liz: I've hoed out many a flower and left weeds to grow thinking they were flowers. Gardening is always full of surprises--I never know in the spring just what will have survived the winter.