Friday, March 05, 2010

Lenten thanks 17


On Monday evening we started a new circuit in Thrive (circuit training class). It was mostly okay except for one particular exercise.

For this you had to squat down - as someone once described it to me - 'as if you're doing a poo in the woods'. Then you had to leap straight into a star jump.

And we had to do this for 60 seconds. Go on, you try it.

As luck would have it, my regular partner wasn't there so I was paired with the woman who, in 2 weeks' time, is doing a 30-mile sponsored run. And she kept talking to me, which would have been okay if she hadn't been asking me questions and expecting answers.

Monday night is the - I was going to say 'easy' class but it's not so instead I'll say I also go to Thrive on Thursday, which is the 'advanced' class. This week I missed it as I was in Devon. Husband, who went, told me, 'It was hard.'

I am so very grateful I didn't go to Thursday Thrive this week and I won't be going next week either as I'm back in Devon.


6 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Torture ! The name of the class is a sly joke , I gather .

Puss-in-Boots said...

I can think of better ways to injure myself...

jams o donnell said...

Haha the pictures make it look like someone has done a poo and is jumping for joy!

I think one of those exercises would destry my quadrifeps... again!

Gledwood said...

Squat down as if you're going to do a poo in the woods?... ie don't do it at all??!? That's my way. Yeah, take lots of loperamide before the weekend away and deal with the consequences afterwards!!

Just kidding I would never mess around with stuff like that. I was once convinced into taking loperamide when I had dysentry in India. I later found out that if the condition had been very much worse the interaction of giardiisis (I call it dysentry, technically it was giardia, which is 2 down from cholera ie cholera, typhoid then giardia, then dysentry, then bog standard food poisoning)... anyway if I'd taken much more loperamide on top of that my guts could have EXPLODED!!

That's what I was told. Nasty business, eh.

Have a cheery weekend, Liz

PS what has George done lately?

Rose said...

I don't think I'd be going at all if I had to do more than one of these exercises! Getting paired up with a partner who's a marathoner wouldn't have been any help either.

Thanks for your comment on my review of "The Help." I remember reading your recommendation of it some time last year, which was the first I'd even heard of the book. Apparently, you have spread the word because it's now a bestseller in the U.S.

Liz Hinds said...

It must be, S&S!

And more fun, puss.

I keep asking if the exercises are good for me, jams, and our instructor ensures me they are. (I had a blank moment then and couldn't work out if it were in or en sure. I'm still not convinced!)

Gledwood, George is being worn out by his best friend and sparring partner, Willet!

I had to stop and take a rest between each squat, rose, and I don't think that was quite the idea!