Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Christian terrorists

I saw this on Mimi's Facebook post:
I am horrified.

Isaiah (whose name I always struggle to spell) lived about 750 years before Jesus and he foretold the Easter story.

‘ … he (Jesus) was pierced for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities;’

‘ …he was led like a lamb to the slaughter …’

‘… the punishment that brought us peace was upon him …’

These so-called-Christian terrorists no more represent the message of the gospel than the manipulative televangelist in his mansion with his own private jet. God must weep over what is done in his name.

3 comments:

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

I'm glad you said "so-called Christians". Christian and terrorists cannot be used together to describe anyone. The words are direct opposites. I agree: God must be sorely grieved.

Unknown said...

I agree, Liz. For almost 140 years right-wing fundamentalists here in the U.S. have claimed be "Christian" even as they proclaim their messages of hate, intolerance, and violence.

There was even a group from Colorado who, in 1999, had a plan to blow up the Dome of the Rock in the absurd belief that rebuilding the Temple on the Temple Mount would being about (force?) the return of Christ. They even had a unit in Jerusalem when the plot was uncovered and the fundamentalists arrested.

I have a Muslim friend who told me a few years ago that groups like the Taliban and Al Qaeda are not representative of Islam and he wished they would not claim to be Islamic. I says the same about the right-wing fundamentalists who falsely claim the name of Christ.

Katney said...

Yes, I was thinking the same thing when I was listening to the news. It is definitely an oxymoron to use the two words in juxtaposition. There is nothing Christian about their message.