Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Stuart: A Life Backwards

On his blog a few months ago, Furtheron did a review of a book called Stuart: A Life Backwards. He raved about it so I ordered it and am currently about three-quarters of the way through.

It's the biography of a homeless man told working backwards through his life, the biographer trying to find an answer to the questions of what made Stuart what he was and how he ended up as he did (dead at 34).

Alexander Masters, the author, says there are numerous types of homeless person, with people like Stuart, the chaotic homeless, at the very bottom of the heap. '... they are the worst face of homelessness and, when not the most hateful, the most pitiable extremity of street life.'

As Masters explains, the Stuarts of the world rend your heart one moment and the next you could happily kill them. Yep, I've seen that sort in Zac's and in prison. Masters also tells of the street community, the sense of belonging and camaraderie that I've witnessed amongst rough sleepers. It's a very real and authentic book as far as I can judge.

Most of all though, I suppose, the book reminds me that being nice, saying a kind word, baking a cake, doesn't change lives as screwed up as these. All the things we try and do may better the situation for five minutes but then it's gone. For chaotics like Stuart there seems very little hope.

Yesterday Furtheron emailed me to ask what I thought of the book. I replied with much of what I've said here, adding that, as a Christian, I should believe that God can make a difference. And I do believe he can. I just don't think he does very often. (Although life changing takes a response and desire on the part of the person; it's not just God flicking a switch and making us different.) Quite depressing really.

And then last night Sean, who was unaware of this conversation, emailed me a link to the Discussion Board on the Zac's Place Facebook. Sean had asked the question: what was your first experience of Zac's?

Mark had written:
My first experience of Zac's place..........hard to remeber. To be honest I was so off my face during that period ofmy life......? One thing that i will never forget is that it is where I first found Christ. Not in a head knowledge way but in a deep, heart knowledge. It was the first place I found Gods unconditional love, acceptance and grace in action. Not people talking it but people living it. Authentic faith and deeds in action.

Mark's now in Bible College.

Okay, God, I'm sorry I said you didn't change lives very often. (But you could still do it more often!!) (Please!!)

6 comments:

Lia said...

I've read this book, it's very moving and like you I felt it was very authentic.

It reminded me of another book I read many years ago, written by a woman who had spent years living on the streets, but who had also known *normal* life.
I think my daughter has it and I will try to find it for you as I think you would enjoy it and the authors name and title of the book escapes me right now.

The woman got off the streets in the end, but soon returned to many of her old haunts, mainly for the company and because she said it was the only place she felt was home and where she felt accepted.

Much Love
Lia xx

Katney said...

I've not read the book.

But I do know that you never ever know the depths and distances that that cake or kind word reaches, the seeds that they plant that blossom years down the line. You can't ever stop doing them, because you don't know which one is going to be the one that makes the difference.

Puss-in-Boots said...

While some elect to live a life on the streets as opposed to homelife (like a lot of kids who come from less than ideal homes), there are some who are there through awful circumstance. Nevertheless, it's a very real situation and I really think it needs to be brought to our attention more. We are inclined to sit in our comfortable warm homes and watch news items on tv without it really touching us.

However, there are those (like yourself, Liz) who endeavour to make a difference and it must be very satisfying to see someone, even if it is only one, turn their lives around. It's a social problem though that no one knows how to solve.

I'll have a look for that book in the library. It sounds very unusual.

James Higham said...

There but for the grace of G-d ...

It is a constant thing which could fall at any moment.

Furtheron said...

Good for Mark - I can very relate to his experience although my faith is a very different faith to his.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'd like to read that. Yes, a bit more often, please, God!