Wednesday, April 01, 2009

More of a Reubens girl myself

Am I the only one who seriously thought that Monetise meant to make the background of the blog all blobby and Impressionist?

Blogger's inventing words now, is it?

Oh, no, whoops, just looked it up in Chambers. Monetise, v, to give the character of money to. For goodness sake, what character does money have?

I suppose a pound coin would be sensible, dependable, a bit like a ruddy-cheeked farmer while a fivepenny piece would be like Tiny Tim, helpless and needing to be cared for, but not feeling sorry for itself, more stoic - a brave little fivepenny piece.

A twenty pence coin would be jaunty and cheeky, doing cartwheels while its younger, slightly-overweight ten-pence sister has to carry its school-bag, sighing and grumbling.

A fifty pence coin is a bit like the elder statesman. Been there, seen it, done it all, and looking down its nose at the new freshly-minted two pound coin. He hasn't found his feet yet and is still a bit intimidated by the pound, but give him a year or two, and he'll be the unbearable city type, driving a fast car and spending like there's no tomorrow.

You notice I haven't mentioned the coppers. We don't talk about them. They're nothing but you wouldn't think it to listen to them. Cheeky little urchins. all mouth and trousers as Auntie Vi used to say.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

rofl! I don't like ads on blogs.

Suburbia said...

Hee hee! That was my first thought too, and then I thought....is there such a word as monetise?

Rose said...

Oh this is so funny, Liz! I thought I was the only one who thought this, too:) I clicked on "monetize" the other day, thinking it might help me perk up the appearance of my blog--some nice impressionistic background would be nice. Now I see Suburbia thought the same! I'm also getting e-mails from somebody named Ricky who wants to pay me to advertise on my blog. How much do you suppose I could make..a penny a day?

I'm in Arizona right now: Hubby is napping on the sofa, and Daughter is off to a work meeting, so I finally had some time to catch up with all your posts.
How wonderful you got to meet Suburbia! Somehow I knew the two of you would be exactly as you sound in your blogs.

And thanks for the recent comments on my posts. Didn't mean to needle anyone with pictures of GRANDkids:) If I had to wait for Daughter, I'd still be without any:) And it's too bad younger Son and Youngest Daughter couldn't hook up immediately. She is in charge of the dogs, which worries me; he could have been a help. Although, last night when I talked to her,she was vacuuming. I didn't even know she knew we had a vacuum:)

Leslie: said...

great metaphors!

Furtheron said...

I think money has a nasty character full of aravice... just look at the state we've currently got the world into in the continual quest for it