Wednesday, June 25, 2008

ABC Wednesday - W

W is for Wild.
Most days you'll find George and me walking over 'the tip'. This is the tip.

It used to be the old Council tip, where all the city's rubbish was dumped. A landfill site. When we first moved here about twenty years ago it had only been fairly recently closed. the first time we walked a dog over it, she came back and kept licking her paws frantically. We feared poison or acid had seeped out from the ground that was only lightly covered with soil and grass and we didn't walk there again for years.
But when we had Harvey, it soon became one of his favourite haunts. In the beginning we'd still see the foot of a wellie boot sticking up out of the ground, or various other bits of rubbish that weren't completely covered, but as the years went by, nature took over and now I don't think you'd know that it hadn't always been this Wild. I regularly see foxes and last week I saw my first rabbit. Herons even land in the wetland in the middle.
Nature has done a marvellous job of reclaiming its own. (Just after I took the above photo yesterday, we came across the body of a fox cub. I know that's nature too but a more upsetting side!)
At the far end of the tip is an old farmhouse. i guess the owners had to move out when the Council began to use the land as a rubbish dump. If you look carefully at the arch in the photo, you'll see that two trunks of the same tree have grown up on either side of the wall.

The prettier side of nature's restoration. Wild roses can be found all over the tip. I wish we had smellovision: the scent is fabulous.

P.S. I didn't stick my nose in the same time as the bee!

P.P.S. To take part or to see more ABC Wednesday photos, visit mrs nesbitts place
xx

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that :0)


Hippy mama

esnorway said...

Great W them and nice shoots

Profile Not Available said...

Your W's are excellent! I especially like the wall!

Lindsay said...

You have beenb busy with the camera - nice pics.

Reader Wil said...

I love Wales. The times we spent there were happy ones. It's so different from England, which is also beautiful, but different. I will never learn Welsh but I am fascinated by the celtic sounds and music. Your post brought back happy memories. At least you did and the Welsh flag!

Rose said...

Great post for W, Liz! I enjoyed seeing this wild area with you. Isn't it funny how gardeners work and work to get beautiful roses, yet some of the prettiest just grow wild without anyone's help. And that bee photo--I am envious!

Bear Naked said...

Wonderful photo of the Wild rose.
Perfect for W

AphotoAday said...

It's really amazing how fast nature can recover from whatever we throw at her.   Interesting story about the dump.

Suburbia said...

Love your Wild's.
The landfil looks amazing, you'd never know but I wonder what George would find if he dig down in it a bit !

Jane Hards Photography said...

Wild it is, but beautiful.

Anonymous said...

A good place for walking the dog... a Walk on the Wildside. Just so long as George behaves.

Petunia said...

Very nice choice for the letter W! Great shots too!

Rune Eide said...

Nice history, nice pictures - but beware of old tips! We have had some surprises around here.

Dragonstar said...

Nature is wonderfully strong.
I love the tree and the archway.

Maria Verivaki said...

i came to wales about 17 years ago, swansea to be exact, and stayed with the mother of a friend of mine who had emigrated to new zealand. maybe the sky isn't always blue, but you live in a little green paradise, with pretty castles and people who truly care for nature. (when the sun shines on greece, it is often looking at a rubbish dump...)

Anonymous said...

Such fun shots for W. The bee is great right in the middle of that flower!!

EG CameraGirl said...

A lovely wild adventure seeking property now reclaimed by nature! I'm glad the dump looks more natural now.

Kjersti said...

Wonderful W-choice all of them!

Pernille said...

Wonderful shots! I like it:)

Have fun:)

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting mine Liz.

Love the converted tip - great that nature has reclaimed it, but I fear what lies beneath!!?

Also love the ruined farmhouse - would love to restore it - what a project!

Gary
Bodge's Bulletin.