Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I think of you

... even when I'm away having a wonderful time.

We stayed in a hotel on the top of Richmond Hill. Just across the road is a promenade that overlooks Richmond water meadows and the Thames, as well as a lot of west London. They have one of those panoramic photos that tells you what and where everything is. I noticed on it that we were just up the road from Petersham, which is 'the most elegant village in England'. (For elegant, read rich. Not what I would think of as a village, full of very large, posh houses, but beautiful architecture - a mix of Georgian, Edwardian etc.) Furthermore I read that, buried in the grounds of the local church was 'Captain George Vancouver who discovered Vancouver Island.' (That must have been a coincidence coming across a place that had the same name as him!)
So I made Husband join me in a search of the churchyard to find the grave just so I could take a photo for jmb. We were on the point of giving up and leaving when we spotted a tiny sign pointing to the grave. Our mistake when searching had been to look for an old grave and ignore the one or two modern tombstones. But here it is.
And now here, just for Mutley, are some genuine antique pies from the kitchens of Henry VIII at Hampton Court Palace. I saw them and thought of you.

Lots more to come!
xx

3 comments:

Furtheron said...

I need a photo filter on my machine - look at those pies!

Now I just feel really hungry.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. The text above the photos keeps disappearing but I think I've managed to read it now. I love the Richmond area. That's interesting about Vancouver's grave. The pies should make Mutley's day!

jmb said...

Mutley and I are so lucky. I wonder if he'll let us share his pies. I suppose they will be a bit hard for these old teeth.

Thanks for thinking of me. I read recently that the City of Vancouver pays for the upkeep of the captain's grave and they have flowers put on it every year for the anniversary of his death.
regards
jmb