Monday, June 04, 2007

In a Welsh suburban garden

I spent the afternoon today gardening and I am a very good gardener. Now this may come as a surprise to those of you who know of my ability to kill a plant with one glance, but I'm a natural at this sort of gardening - the destructive sort. Give me a piece of overgrown land that needs clearing and I'm in my element. Which is quite amazing considering my low tolerance threshold for creepy-crawlies.

I forgot to take a before picture, so this is an after combined with what was. Yes, that enormous pile of weeds filled that little patch of bare earth behind it, completely hiding - and probably trying to kill - the rose, garlic and chives.

We have quite a large garden and Husband, who is away such a lot, struggles to keep up with it. Especially when I have ideas like - why don't we build a pond, re-structure the rockery, plant perennials, do this, do that - all the time. Oh, yes, I'm a good gardener - in theory.

Now this had nothing to do with me. I just wish I could import its perfume for you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely picture.

Anonymous said...

My wife says that when I begin to prune and clean up I don't know when to stop. Guess she is right.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

What a beautiful rose. I have a much lowere level of creepy crawlies than you do, though, so I'd never have been able to clear that patch!

DigiscrapMom said...

that's a lovely flower! beuatiful color :)

Puss-in-Boots said...

Liz

Thank you so much for your message. Yes, it's pretty devastating and my place seems very quiet and empty just now.

Lovely rose you have there, too.

Take care and thank you very much, Liz.

Robyn

Anonymous said...

Liz, I have updated my possum post and have a link where you can see a photo and learn a little about them. Thanks for the reminder.

Anna said...

Put September in your diary to come and "garden" the allotment please!! All hands on deck...