Thursday, May 17, 2007

How could you?

I've mentioned before Harvey's lately-developed tendency to sit and bark for no reason. Husband deals with it by splashing him with water; that usually stops him. I've tried it but I chicken out at the last moment and the water goes over the floor, leaving Harvey barking but now with a puzzled look on his face.

This morning he'd accompanied my entire dish-washing session (double-length) with his woof, woof, woof. I had a milk bottle to put out so, on my way past him, I tipped the drop of soapy water left in the bottom onto his head.

Stunned into silence, he stared at me, then got up and walked into the hall. In the doorway he turned and gave me this reproachful look. 'How could you? I thought you were my friend.'

Is there anything worse than a look from a reproachful dog?

P.S. You'll notice the decorating in the hall isn't finished yet. I've resigned myself to living like this until autumn at least. Well, you can't decorate when the sun is shining.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Harvey is seeing something no one else can see. A spirit or some wondering soul. Stranger things have happened. At least in the movies.

DeeJay said...

I don't think that is a reproachful look, I think it is more of a "Do that again and I'll bite your leg off" look.

Elsie said...

The looks the animals give are almost as guilt producing as those from the children. Thank goodness they can't talk, though they must think their barking is a good substitute.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ah, he looks so sweet. The only way I can stop Simi barking is to get the dog brush out - she knows she has to sit still and be brushed then!

Lee said...

Perhaps use a spray bottle filled with water...and let out just a gentle spray...that should do the trick. Poor Harvey...he's probably just singing!

Heart of Rachel said...

Awww ... he looks quite sad. He must be thinking what did I do to deserve that. I remember getting a similar look from my lab, Bruno before when I accidentally dropped something on him. I agree with Lee, a spray bottle might be a better alternative. Hope everything works for the best.

jmb said...

That was not kind, but necessary. Maybe once is enough, I hope so for your sake. Barking does get on one's nerves after a while