Saturday, May 19, 2007

C'mon the ... um ... blues

So Manchester United play Chelsea today at the new Wembley Stadium for the FA Cup. These aren't details that would normally enter my brain but Husband has said that perhaps, this year for the first time in years, he will watch it - as it's the new stadium - and Younger Son has strong views.

Husband is going to support Man U while I will cheer on Chelsea. Younger Son, an Arsenal fan, is also supporting Chelsea - as the lesser of two evils - for complicated footballing reasons. My reason is simple: Sir Alex Ferguson chews gum with his mouth open. And he wasn't nice to David Beckham.

It's quite possible that Mourinho chews open-mouthed as well - it is a football manager cliché - but I haven't seen him so that is justification enough for me.

Of course, I might just fall asleep.

5 comments:

MaryB said...

I don't really follow that kind of football (*insert wink*) but I've always been kind of partial to Chelsea blue, as well, Liz. But my favorite team - just by virtue of the name - is Tottenham Hotspur. They may be real stinkos, but ya' gotta love the name!

I was in England two years ago during all this palaver, so it was constant background to whatever I was doing. I was surprised that the game started with a hymn - what was it? Nearer My God to Thee, or something? Just seemed kinda funny (in an endearing way, of course).

Anonymous said...

I do of course, no those team names. I'm not a big soccer fan, but do know that we have Beckham playing for us now.

Anonymous said...

You sound like Roomie. She occasionally goes with me to REAL football games, but never even looks at the action on the playing field. It took me a while to figure out that she spends all her time watching the routines of the cheer-leading squads and the dance teams that perform along the sideline. She does not even know there is a game going on down there...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, I can't stand to watch AF chewing but I can't stand Mourinho either because of what he did to his dog. Surprised they got the stadium ready after all. Poor old Cardiff!

Liz Hinds said...

Oh, Welshcakes, what did he do to his dog?! Oh no!

Tottenham Hotspur is a real boys-comic name, isn't it, Mary? I remember coming home form shoppomg with my mum on Saturday afternoons and my granddad would be listening to the football results on the radio. So many of the names sounded so romantic - like Queen of the South, Crystal Palace.

I don't know what hymn it was (I missed the start). Jerusalem maybe?

Yes, Beckham and wife are hoping to conquer America, Steve.

Now, Winston, I guess you're talking about American football (or, as we call it, rugby for softies) when you mention REAL football. Don't get me wrong: I do watch what's going on. I admire their legs and their hair and ...