Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Why so sad?

Daughter asked why I was a little bit sad.

I get excited in advance of things - like weddings or Christmas - and then get a bit down in the immediate aftermath. I suppose it's the anti-climax, the fact that it's all over - as far as we're concerned; for the young couple a whole new adventure is beginning.

But we're off on holiday tomorrow to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands for a week. A bit of relaxing, lots of reading and an opportunity for this cold, which has come back with a vengeance since the weekend, to finally clear up, and I'll be returning full of life and vitality, and plans for my future writing. I think having two years or more of almost invariable rejections has knocked me back more than I would like to admit. I've gone from having confidence in my writing to expecting rejection.

So along with my frothy novels, I'm going to pack some writing magazines (which have sat unread on my desk for months) and a notebook.

Watch this space!

6 comments:

Elsie said...

Rest and relaxation always soothe the soul and reenergize the spirit. Have a great time away. We'll be here when you get back.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Have a great holiday, Liz. I'm sure you'll come back with lots to tell us! Rejection of any sort knocks one back, so I do empathise. One day you'll make it, girl!

MaryB said...

Sounds wonderful after all the excitement of late. Ya' done good, girl, now relax and recharge.

And don't get me started about the writing-thing. No. I mean it. I'll just feel guilty and useless.

Let's just pretend we're lying fallow for a while.

(And keep pushing your writing out there - you just haven't found your "Scholastic Books" yet - a la JK Rowling.)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the holiday. My wife and I are heading to the Canary Islands in June.

Brandie said...

Enjoy your time away.
Relax, enjoy it, read.
I too get a bit down after big events. I think it is that it's over and done and when it's so fun, it's hard to be done with it.

James Higham said...

Liz, I had my rejections too in London and I just rewrote and rewrote and rewrote. In the end it must come.