Monday, January 16, 2006

Teetering on the brink

Wednesday morning at 5 o'clock as the day begins except it's Monday and more like 10 o'clock, still my proper day is sort of beginning. I have got out of bed, had breakfast, taken my keep-me-happy-and-bendy pills, drunk my two cups of tea and I'm ready to go.

I want to send my newly-revamped novel off to an agent today but I am still struggling with a title. I know it can be changed later but I still need to grab the agent's attention. A quick review of book titles suggest that most of them are quite ordinary; it's only a few that have long and funny titles. Ooh, I just had a good idea.

I've added it to my brainstorm sheet. Yes, I quite like it. But I like most of them when I first think of them. Better leave it to brew for a bit.

3 comments:

MaryB said...

I was talking to author friend of mine over the weekend, and the subject of titles came up. Richard, who's second book for HarperCollins is being published the end of next month, was sounding out a couple of title ideas for his 3rd book. Finally he said, You know, I really don't have to worry about a title - the publishing house usually changes it, anyway.

I surmised (and he agreed) that the only reason to come up with a good title is to catch the attention of an agent or publisher. Once a contract is signed, they can call it whatever they want.

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, I agree, maryb. I won't mind what they call it as long as they publish it!!

MaryB said...

Amen, sister! Now, to think of a title to get their attention ...