Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Throwing the devil

I am convinced George only comes for a walk to humour us. 'Can't let the old dears go alone.' And because he knows he gets treats along the way.

He lags so far behind I can barely see him and when I do get to see his face it's a look of, 'Really? How much further are you planning on dragging me?'

And he's so slow we can't even count what we're doing as exercise.

He's never been fast but, honestly, a snail moves faster these days.

Moan over. We still love him.

Now there was something else I was thinking of when walking ... oh yes, it was Michaelmas Day yesterday. And you know what that means?

No more picking and eating blackberries off the bush.

Apparently Michaelmas Day commemorates the day the devil was thrown out of heaven. He landed in a blackberry bush and peed on it. Hence the advice to avoid picking blackberries in case you just happen to have fund the bush. 

It seems you were also supposed to eat goose on Michaelmas Day if you wanted good fortune through the year. Whoops, too late for me now. 

For more devilment, you might like to read my article in the next issue of The Bay magazine, in which I own up to my intense dislike of Halloween.

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Living in Canada, I grew up with Halloween, trick or treating, and dressing up in costumes on Oct 31st. In those days (almost 60 years ago), there was very little commercialization and many people still gave out homemade treats like popcorn balls and fudge. Decorations consisted of witches, black cats and jack-o-lanterns, not the horror and gore of today's holiday which I don't like very much.

As an adult, its pagan origins as the celebration of Samhain make me love it even more!

Marie Smith said...

Our grand-dog, who walks with us when she visits, will not walk ahead with one of us if the other is lagging behind. She is concerned about her senior walkers. Dogs are a special gift.

Terra said...

When I adopted Bounce four years ago he was always wanting to walk ahead and walk fast. Recently he has started stopping and smelling everything. This means a rather slow walk, but I read that smelling is like a newspaper to a dog, he gets all the neighborhood news that way, so I don't mind his slow pace.

Liz Hinds said...

There are some fascinating traditions associated with Halloween, Debra. My son tells me that in the long ago past children were dressed as devils because it was supposed to be the night the spirits roamed and being dressed as a devil made your child less likely to be abducted by the evil spirits.

George is the same when we leave the house, Marie. He dithers until we're both on our way.

There's slow and there's slow, Terra! Yes, it's fascinating to think of the news they gather with their noses.

Cop Car said...

Debra--60 years ago, I handed out hot-out-of-the-oven cookies to trick or treaters. It's been a while since that's been a thing to do. Now everything must be hermetically sealed. A loss.

pam nash said...

In her later years, my little dog, Morgan, would start out the walk tugging me along. For the first 1/2 block. Then, I had to tug her along!