Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Free health care a good thing?

Amongst Uncle's things we came across this Daily Telegraph from March 22nd, 1946, announcing the setting up of the NHS. Uncle worked for the NHS from the very beginning eventually becoming CEO of Nottingham Family Practitioners before being asked to head up national training for staff in the Family Practitioner Services (I've learned this from letters received since his death). 
 What I found particularly interesting about this newspaper cutting is the reactions of the BMA and BHA, which both sound less than enthusiastic about a nationalised health service.

3 comments:

nick said...

Indeed, which is why Nye Bevan "stuffed their mouths with gold" to get them onside.

Liz Hinds said...

Really, Nick? I see.

Furtheron said...

Salaried servants of the state?.... well that is one I must remember, given I work in the public sector that is a fair description of myself no doubt.