Friday, August 15, 2014

Kissing a man without a moustache

As I said, Husband has a new-found passion for Facebook and this has led him to rummage in the attic for old photos. One he came across records the only time in our married life that he was without a moustache.

It was the Christmas season, some time in the 90s, and, as he was on holiday, he decided to shave it off. As he'd been moustachioed when I met him this was going to be the first time ever for me to see him clean-shaven.
I hated it, made him grow it back and have fought strenuously against his frequent suggestions that he should shave it off again. (He thinks he looks younger without.)

When I was searching just now for the quote, 'Kissing a man without a moustache is like eating an egg without salt,' I discovered that back in 2006 I blogged about Husband and his moustache. It seems the original quote is often wrongly attributed to Rudyard Kipling but most sources suggest it's an old Spanish proverb. Mr Kipling wrote a variation on it (allegedly) when he said, 'Kissing a man who doesn't wax his moustache is like eating an egg without salt.'

The rest of what I wrote in 2006 is here: 

Guy de Maupassant describes it thus in The Mustache.

... he has shaved off his mustache. You cannot imagine, my dear Lucy, how it changes him! I no longer recognize him-by day or at night. If he did not let it grow again I think I should no longer love him; he looks so horrid like this.
In fact, a man without a mustache is no longer a man. I do not care much for a beard; it almost always makes a man look untidy. But a mustache, oh, a mustache is indispensable to a manly face. No, you would never believe how these little hair bristles on the upper lip are a relief to the eye and good in other ways. I have thought over the matter a great deal but hardly dare to write my thoughts. Words look so different on paper and the subject is so difficult, so delicate, so dangerous that it requires infinite skill to tackle it.
Well, when my husband appeared, shaven, I understood at once that I never could fall in love with a strolling actor nor a preacher, even if it were Father Didon, the most charming of all! Later when I was alone with him (my husband) it was worse still. Oh, my dear Lucy, never let yourself be kissed by a man without a mustache; their kisses have no flavor, none whatever! They no longer have the charm, the mellowness and the snap- yes, the snap--of a real kiss. The mustache is the spice.
Imagine placing to your lips a piece of dry--or moist--parchment. That is the kiss of the man without a mustache. It is not worth while.
Whence comes this charm of the mustache, will you tell me? Do I know myself? It tickles your face, you feel it approaching your mouth and it sends a little shiver through you down to the tips of your toes.
And on your neck! Have you ever felt a mustache on your neck? It intoxicates you, makes you feel creepy, goes to the tips of your fingers. You wriggle, shake your shoulders, toss back your head. You wish to get away and at the same time to remain there; it is delightful, but irritating. But how good it is!
A lip without a mustache is like a body without clothing; and one must wear clothes, very few, if you like, but still some clothing.





8 comments:

Mike Tea said...

Ah, the "other ways" of mine soupstrainer...

Katney said...

It brings to mind the summer when husband shaved off his moustache.

Either (or both) daughter # 1 or #2 was working at camp. On the weekend we went there and met some of the other counselors.

The following weekend during the time that the girls had off we picked them up took a day trip to Mt. Rainier and one of the friends came along. Sometime during that day the friend asked the daughter, "Didn't your Dad have a moustache?"

We all (family) were quite startled and took a look and sure enough, he had shaved it off sometime during the week. The young man who had met him once was the only one who had noticed.

Leslie: said...

My late husband had the opposite problem - he had a baby face and when he grew a mustache, he looked more his age. Now Lorne, on the other hand had a mustache when I met him again in 2008 and he looked so old! As soon as he shaved it off, he looked 15 to 20 years younger! I guess it depends on the man. I think your hubby looks divine in this photo! Very handsome indeed!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I think he looks good without a moustache..

I don't like them but it is down to personal taste, I have just read "it sends a shiver" yes it does but does not intoxicate me at all,

You are certainly rummaging deep in your attic,

Unknown said...

Hmmm, in the 70s I like a man with a moustache but they do nothing for me now. I like the look of Mike without a moustache. It is all personal preference, I know. So this is mine.

Liz Hinds said...

Always saves a bit for later, mike.

moustaches are easily unnoticed I think, Katney. usually.

Leslie, Anne and Robyn: please don't encourage him!!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Would WE do that Liz? I was sat near a man on the bus the other day ..I just thought "shave it off" and I don't even know him. My youngest son came to mine a few months ago ..arggh he had a beard and a tache !!! It is is girlfriend who encouraged him.

Rosemarydiary said...

I know a real professional programmer who has worked for me once in the past month. He is very good at hacking. He offers legit services such as clearing of bad records online without it being traced backed to you, he clones phones, hacks facebook ,instagram, whatsapp, emails, twitter, bank accounts,FIXES CREDIT REPORTS, tracks calls and changes university grades either institute or universities. He also helps to retrieve accounts that have been taken by hackers. His charges are affordable, reliable, 100% safe. Contact him via 'hackingloop6@gmail . com