Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Glorious Undead

Last night at Zac's we had a guest speaker (seen on the left with Sean). His name is Pastor Bob and he's American. As Sean pointed out, there tends to be a bit of anti-American bias at Zac's because of the behaviour of some of the US churches (prosperity preaching, hypocrisy etc) so it was a relief to know that Pastor Bob agreed with that summing-up.

Although he did qualify his agreement. He said he'd been grumbling to God about the state of the American church and God had reminded him that 'She may be a whore but she's still my wife.'

Anyway, Pastor Bob was/is committed to be on the edge - wherever the edge is. He spends most of his time with musicians - black metal, goth, vampire - and he says, 'I work with people just like me.' He's played and worked with plenty of successful bands and he's been a pastor for 32 years. 'At times I've had death threats and had to have bodyguards against Christians who've labelled me satanic.'

On this All Hallow's Eve, I'll finish by telling you about the church Pastor Bob has been involved with in London: the Church of the Glorious Undead.
xx

4 comments:

jams o donnell said...

Wow he sounds like a cool guy. I can imagine that his ministry must be both fascinating and satisfying.

MaryB said...

Liz, I love reading your posts about Zac's Place. Is Pastor Bob a part of the emerging church movement or does he do his own thing? Emerging church is big over your way and really starting to grow here. Anyway, as jams says, he sounds like a cool guy.

Liz Hinds said...

Mary, try www.sanctuary.ws

It's the website for his ministry. He's based in Nashville I think.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sounds an interesting man.