Thursday, August 13, 2026

Missing the eclipse

Inspired by something I read in The Road to Grantchester I led Zac's on the theme of the First Supper. After his resurrection Jesus walked and talked with two disciples on the road to Emmaus and they didn't recognise him. It wasn't until he joined them for supper and broke bread that they realised it was him. Which is pretty weird. 

So I got groups discussing times when they'd felt God hadn't been with them or when they knew he had been. I provided shared communion plates for them to nibble on while they chatted.

I think it was worthwhile. People on the whole seemed open and there was plenty of discussion going on. However it will probably be remembered for the time that one man told us his story of being hospitalised and in great pain. (He's actually told this story at least four times before, adding extra bits each time, this time it being while he was in agony the nurse wandered in 'smoking a fag'. No, I don't believe that either but I was very restrained and didn't say anything. He is the man I have mentioned before, not my favourite person.) Anyway to get back to his story. He couldn't remember the word so he said, "They stuck a caterpillar up my thing."

* * * * *
Yesterday it was Zac's retreat day at Rhosilli. We began with led prayer and contemplation in the church. That was good. I still have to work through some of the things raised.

Then we went for lunch in a nearby café - very yummy Welsh rarebit - followed by a walk out to the point. Not to the Worm itself. It was very hot and there were loads of people. I don't think I've been to Rhosilli on a hot summer's day before and I won't be going again!




We were given a mini art kit as part of the retreat so when we got out to this spot I sat down and painted the Worm. 


I can see now I got all the proportions wrong. But I enjoyed myself! Except it was quite breezy and the lid of my paintbox blew off the edge of the cliff. I'm sorry about littering but I wasn't going to scramble down the steep rocks to rescue it. I wouldn't even go that close to the edge of the cliff.

After that it was back to the church via the ice cream shop for discussion about the future. 

* * * * *
There was a great deal of excitement everywhere yesterday as we prepared for a partial eclipse in the evening. The sun was just about visible over the hedge from one corner of our garden so we duly rushed out to watch. 

I had my colander ready.
But then decided I'd watch it through my phone. Husband meanwhile was watching it by squinting through sunglasses. Yes, I know he shouldn't have done that but I've given up telling him to take expert advice: he is THE expert.

"Is it time yet?" I asked.
"What do you mean is it time? It's almost finished."

I saw absolutely nothing that resembled any sort of eclipse. I've since seen peoples' photos and it's very impressive. So it's official: I missed the eclipse.


7 comments:

Ann said...

That man sounds like he enjoys embellishing his stories. Not knowing the right word to use must make things rather interesting too

Anvilcloud said...

I understanding losing your word.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You've had a busy week and there's still Friday to go! Too bad you and your colander missed the eclipse.

Janie Junebug said...

When I worked in healthcare we stuck caterpillars in people's things all the time.

Love,
Janie

jabblog said...

It all sounds worthwhile and encouraging. I like your painting - it has life.

The Happy Whisk said...

Sorry you missed it. Here's to the next one.

Abby said...

I like your theme discussion for Zac's. And I've since learned that Welsh rarebit/ rabbit is not actual rabbit ... like a caterpillar is not that other thing.
Nice job on the painting!