Sunday, October 13, 2024

Bringing in the sheaves

When I was getting ready for church this morning I remembered it was Harvest. At least I had a vague recollection of a message that I think said that. So I drove to the shop and picked up some boxes of cereal - wheat and honey, perfect harvest gifts - for the collection for the local foodbank.

As I drove I began singing harvest songs. 'We plough the fields and scatter' came first followed by 'Bringing in the Sheaves, bringing in the sheaves'. Then I tried to remember the hymn we always sang in grammar school at harvest time. At first I could only remember 'Now thank we all our God', but I was sure there was one more specifically harvest themed. Then it came to me.

Come ye thankful people come, raise the song of harvest home.
All is safely gathered in ere the winter's storms begin.
God our maker doth provide for our wants to be supplied,
Come ye thankful people come, raise the song of harvest home.

I haven't sung that for 55 years and I could remember every word. I've said before, this is what is occupying all the space in my memory. I need to be able to delete and make room for what happened yesterday.


1 comment:

jabblog said...

Harvest songs have a particular way of sticking in the mind, almost as much as Christmas carols.