Monday, September 16, 2024

If heaven is like this


I will be happy. 

No matter how many times I walk on the beaches of Gower I never ceased to be wow-ed.

The cockles of my heart.


I've been trying to find the origins of the phrase, 'to warm the cockles of my heart'. The idea generally put forward is that in the sixteenth century the term cochleae cordis was used to describe the ventricles of the heart. And cochlea sounds a bit like cockles?

Not totally convinced but then again there doesn't seem to be a better explanation.

We do get cockles on south Gower as demonstrated by the photo but it's the north Gower area of Penclawdd that is particularly famous for them. It's said they were enjoyed by the Romans during their occupation. 

I like mine fried with bacon, with cheese grated on top, and lots of fresh crunchy bread to mop up the juices,


9 comments:

Janie Junebug said...

I don't know if this will help: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/426185/what-is-the-origin-of-the-phrase-it-warms-the-cockles-of-my-heart

Love,
Janie

Kathy G said...

A empty beach looks so serene!

Marie Smith said...

That is a spectacular beach. Nothing like a walk on a beach. The spirit sings!

jabblog said...

I love the Gower.

Ann said...

Well that would work for me if that's what heaven looks like.

Abby said...

I love a good beach - like this one! Living in a landlocked state, I've rarely been to a beach. Special each time.

Anvilcloud said...

In Dublin's fair city
Where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheeled her wheelbarrow
Through streets broad and narrow
Crying, "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive, oh!"

Anvilcloud said...

https://youtu.be/EUWb1jcmMnk?si=-hXhnIhx0Nh_6IVP

Chris said...

I love cockles just as they are, with vinegar.