Saturday, September 14, 2024

And to the castles

Entering the railway station I was pounced upon by a collector for a charity. "Do you have time . . . ?"

"No!" I waved him away. 

This is most unlike me but I know if these people start talking to me they will convince me of the importance of their charity and how much good a monthly donation from me would do and it will just be impossible to get away without signing something. And I resent this pressure.

Every charity is worthwhile and deserves our money but we all have our own particular favourites that we give to regularly or occasionally, and I understand each one has to put its case but please no. And don't phone me either. I'll come to you if I want to donate. Or increase my donation. Those phone calls really annoy me.

So I was quite impressed that I dealt so firmly with the collector. I hurried off and took my photo of the castle - and then looked for a way out by which I could avoid him, before keeping my head down and scurrying out lest one of the others pounced. (There was a whole team of them.)

And the castle I so much wanted to see? Doctor Who and the Tardis.


Before I show you a few more let me show you this tile set in the pavement. Only about the size of my hand.

The number 2 suggests there should be a number 1 or 3 but much as I looked - and staring at the ground while walking on a busy pavement isn't a good idea, especially in High Street where you get some unusual characters - I didn't find them. It's a mystery I might pursue, if I remember.

Going on a hunt for castles when you're not hot on map-reading is a challenge and after being on my feet all morning in Zac's then walking for two hours my little legs were aching, and there are only so many times I could double-back on myself so I accepted I wouldn't get them all and came home.

I won't bore you with them all, just some of my favourites.

My Shed is My Castle

Dragon King - dragons featured a lot

Towering Octopus

I think my favourite is still one I saw very early on at Blackpill, Think Happy Forts.






14 comments:

jabblog said...

What will happen to the towers now?

Marie Smith said...

The last is a beauty!

Anvilcloud said...

So many worthy charities, but there is not enough money in my pocket.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

All those castles are marvelous!

Boud said...

So many good causes, so little time and money! I've had to be firm about volunteer time, too. I already have it in my schedule, can't fit more in to please an aggressive asker.

Kathy G said...

I've learned that when confronted by a solicitor on the street I just smile and keep on walking.

Ann said...

These castles are fabulous.

Liz Hinds said...

They're being auctioned for the Air Ambulance charity.

Liz Hinds said...

I think so.

Liz Hinds said...

Absolutely, AC, and so many billionaires who could help.

Liz Hinds said...

I'm sorry I didn't get round to seeing them all.

Liz Hinds said...

You're right, time is a precious commodity.

Liz Hinds said...

I'm trying to learn that.

Liz Hinds said...

So different and so many talented artists.