Thursday, August 08, 2024

Not to mention fireworks

I approve. All jigsaws should come with an almost life-size copy of the picture. I know nothing about James Joyce's work so this is quite intriguing. A huge lemon soap? A giant potato? A man jumping on his hat?

It's a dank and gloomy day, contributing to my lethargy. I started to tidy a couple of areas but quickly gave up and have taken refuge in my jigsaw. Husband is busy making spicy tomato chutney so the house is filled with the smell of vinegar. Even I can smell it.


It reminds me of Mondays when I was little and my gran would do the washing in the sink and then, in later years, in a little boiler thing. The house would be filled with steam so she'd keep the doors open, which made it cold too. I have the same sort of 'urgh' feeling now.


8 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Somehow or other, I have also missed reading Joyce. I once knew a fellow who at Easter would proclaim, "Read Joyce."

Janie Junebug said...

I read A Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man, which became a favorite of mine, and The Dead. I used to think I would tackle Ulysses one of these days, but now I think life is too short for me to spend time on it when so many other books call my name. Have fun with your jigsaw. I have no idea what the potato means.

Love,
Janie

acorn hollow said...

I am not a puzzle person Husband is. My grand used an wringer washer and I was thrilled to be the catch person. Catching clothes after they went through the wringers.
Cathy

jabblog said...

I read Ulysses - that was enough!

Liz Hinds said...

Congratulations to anyone who has read Joyce! Cathy, I used to love that job with the wringer/mangle too.

Ole phat Stu said...

I failed to finish Ulysses. Probably one of my better decisions 🤪

Boud said...

I love Joyce. But I have the cultural advantage of a longtime Catholic partly Irish family and a heavy education in the classics and church Latin. His characters talk like my relatives did! I knew a lot of the jokes. But it's harder if you need a lot explained as you read. Ulysses took me a while, but Dubliners, Portrait of the Artist, not so much. I haven't read Finnegan's Wake. Is that the jigsaw puzzle reference?

Jo said...

The jigsaw sounds fascinating. I've never read anything by James Joyce so I wouldn't get the references either. I remember my mum having a twin tub when I was little, how modern that was at the time, haha.