Sunday, June 16, 2024

Making the connection

Going into prison this morning I dithered for ages over what to wear having been reprimanded for my sandals last time. Good news: I passed the test.

I find I get very tense during the prison services. The chaplain has mellowed a lot since she started here but still can get quite sharp with the guys, and this morning there was a bit of chatter that annoyed her. And she got cross when we were singing a new song as some of the men were singing it too fast.

Anyway we all got out alive. 

* * * * *

Father's Day today here so we're all having dinner together this evening. I'm cooking and Daughter is bringing cake. I may write some more later about Father's Day.

* * * * *

If you do Connections, the NY Times game, and haven't done it yet today, stop reading now as I'm giving away an answer. 

If you don't do it, you are given sixteen words or phrases and have to make four groups of four words with a connection of some sort. One of the groups today turned out to be 'Things you may see in a garden,' and the words included flamingo and pinwheel. I don't know which gardens the creator visited but they're not that common here.


11 comments:

Boud said...

That sounds US centered, the garden thing. There are pinwheels down the street. Also gnomes and fairy habitats.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Anyway we all got out alive." Just what you want to hear about a prison visit!

Chuck Pergiel said...

When you get the first three groups in Connections, you get the fourth by default. Oftentimes the connection between the four items in that last group is obscure to the point of irritating, so the trick is to figure out what could possibly be the connection between these last four items (the purple ones). Today I managed it. Yahoo! Also, I echo Debra's sentiment.

jabblog said...

There's something to be said for the inmates who turn up for the service. I'm assuming attendance is not obligatory.
I can understand the tension, though.

Abby said...

Steel toed shoes at the prison for you?
I stopped reading. Haven't done my connections yet.

Kathy G said...

When Hubby went into prison to help lead a retreat they had a very strict dress code.

Ann said...

I rarely see flamingos or pinwheels in gardens here.

Marie Smith said...

I laughed at your comment about getting “out alive.” You have a way with words, my friend!

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Abby said...

Flamingoes are often put in people's gardens covertly, as a joke. I do see a fair share of pinwheels. I have suspected that they're there to keep the bunnies away? Like scarecrows?