Monday, February 05, 2024

Dressed by frogs

Some women in my exercise class look as if they're dressed by Dior; I look as if I were dressed by a colour-blind frog. Or possibly a post-menopausal Wonder Woman (I'm in red t-shirt, blue skort, and pink hoodie today.) I have a WW headband somewhere. Perhaps I'll go the whole hog and wear it next week.

Which reminds me. I often see pretty dresses or cool cardigans on the internet but when I check on Trustpilot the site inevitably has a low score. If dodgy companies (Shein, Light in the Box, Temu)can get pretty clothes why can't respectable ones?

I understand that the trend is for subdued colours with maybe a flash of colour but some of us like things a bit brighter. I would be a dresser's nightmare. You know the way magazines - or social media these days - say we should have a basic wardrobe - as defined by them - and everything should mix and match. "So you have lots of outfits from a few items."

Mine is random, everything bought on a whim, usually in Sainsburys. I have a few items I can wear together but largely it's pot luck. I've written before about Grace and Frankie. I am naturally a Frankie but have not quite gone the whole hippy way, and I also admire Grace's perfect style. So I fall somewhere in-between, and end up dressed like it was dark when I put on my clothes.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wear what makes you happy. I too am a person who will never look like a tik tokker going to the gym. and i don't want to. too fake.

Boud said...

Pro tip: those pictures of pretty clothes are often just that. The cheap end don't look like their pictures when they arrive.
My aim in dressing is to look clean, really. Neat if possible.

Kathy G said...

In the cold weather I solve the "everything should mix and match" issue by wearing jeans. Blue denim goes with everything

Anvilcloud said...

I wear tees in summer and their long-sleeved cousins in winter. I like wearing red. Red is totally out of fashion and has been for a few years. I check sites here and there but come up empty. Orange is in. I like orange shoes but not shirts. I do have an orange top or two, but they're not my faves.

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Oh, I so understand. Comfort, please. I've earned it and I LIKE it!

Ole Phat Stu said...

Steve Jobs always wore black turtle-necks. Or did he have only one?

Ann said...

I don't care much about fashion and what the experts say. I wear what I like

Chris said...

Well done going to an exercdil.se class, never mind what you wear. Have you looked at White Stuff, Next or Seasalt, their clothes are colourful.

Liz Hinds said...

I don't want to look like a Tik Tokker, just less as if the village clown has just arrived!
Boud, I'm sure you're right, yes.
The trouble with my jeans, Kathy, is that I get them filthy very quickly and I can never find a clean pair.
A whole lotta magic, comfort, yes, please.
Was Zuckerberg the same, Stu? Always wore white shirt? It does resolve the daily dilemma.
I just want to look presentable, Ann
Yes, Chris, I've looked at those shops. They do have colours but dull versions!
I layer everything too, AC.