Wednesday, July 19, 2023

A bird not of a feather

I'm reading Birds of a Feather* by Jacqueline Winspear at the moment. It's one in the Maisie Dobbs series, set in the early part of the twentieth century and featuring Maisie, a private detective who uses a lot of psychology and feelings in her work. I've read a number in the series and enjoy them but I haven't followed the chronological order so do get confused sometimes.

Anyway Maisie has a young man working for her who was injured in the first world war. In this book his leg is causing him much pain and he's resorted to illegal drugs to help. Maisie arranges to get help for him. Which brings me to my point. I get there in the end.

At some point Maisie is asked, "But where do you go?" I can't find the actual quote right now but basically the questioner wants to know who she confides in, where she goes when she needs support. And it occurred to me to ask myself the same question. 

Of course I have Husband who is my best friend and confidant but sometimes it's helpful to have someone who's a step removed. Not that Husband will always say what I want to hear: he can be blunt. Occasionally I need a Christian perspective especially when thinking about issues to do with Zac's. 

I can make instant, often stupid, decisions based on something someone says that makes me doubt myself. Maybe it's the right decision, maybe it's not. But I should probably think about it first and take advice. Again normally I will go to Husband but every now and again . . .

There's something I've been brooding over for a few weeks now. I made an instant decision, put it into practice, but then circumstances - or God - caused me to have to change it. In fact, I'm going to go and talk to Husband about it now! Before I change my mind.

A little later

Husband's first comment: You should talk to me if something's worrying you.
Husband's second comment: But you talk to Sean about this.

I love him so much.

* I went upstairs to fetch the book because I couldn't remember the title. On the way I noticed some clothes that needed to go up. I took them and put them in the airing cupboard then went back downstairs. Without the book. Who needs exercise classes when you're a woman of a certain age?

2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I think I have read her a little at some point. Did one of the plots involve the Crystal Palace? As for advice, I have Sue and daughter, Shauna.

Boud said...

That was a moving book, whatever the title again. Based on a terrible piece of history.
I don't have one person to go to, but tend to ask someone based on what the issue is. Sometimes I throw an issue open to my blog readers, too, great group. I don't have a Maurice in my life, unlike maisie.