Thursday, January 19, 2023

The Times (New Roman) are a-Changing

Gym followed by a walk. No wonder my little legs are aching. A walk with Daughter is more of a route march. I have to keep saying, "Slow down!"

Daughter was keen to show me the new canyon that appeared in the course of a week cutting through one of the paths. It must be at least 12' deep.

Apparently the blame is being laid at the feet of the golf club who did something with pipes. I don't think the golf club is to blame for the number of dead seagulls on the beach though. Or the decapitated seal. Recent stormy weather I suppose washed them up.

* * * * *
I notice that the American State Department is cancelling Times New Roman font. Secretary Blinken has told the department to adopt Calibri in its place. 

It must be a case of where I go they follow. I've been using Calibri for yonks.

* * * * *
Today is the Feast Day of St. Fillan. The saint of mentally ill people, it is said he had a glowing arm called Mayne and a magic bell that flew through the air. (Thanks to Rev Richard Cole on Twitter for that nugget of information.)



5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A glowing arm and a flying bell? Yowza!

Boud said...

St Fillan sounds pretty interesting.
I have no idea what font my blog is in. Maybe I should know that. I don't remember choosing one.

Liz Hinds said...

Indeed, Debra. The gods have no chance against a saint with a flying bell!

Boud, I use verdana for my blog but when I'm writing something elsewhere I use Calibri. Or Garamond if I want a serif font.

PipeTobacco said...

Hmm. Can you explain to me how Calibri font “creates a more accessible Department”?!? I am completely stymied on how this can be so.

For me, I tend to find Times New Roman more readable in a hard copy book. Yet most of my documents that I write and print (syllabi, etc.) I have used Arial for many years. I have taken to using Calibri on my PowerPoint slides because (at least to me) Calibri looks a bit “cleaner” and more “fancy” in some fashion when I have brief statements on PowerPoint slides.

Yet, while Calibri also seems ok on documents, I would have to say it is a bit distracting to me in a paper form book.

But….. still….the idea that Calibri creates a more accessible anything…. seems like hyperbole and rubbish to me. It is fine for some upper management person to decide a font for their agency….no problems with that….but the claim of more accessibility….. seems to me almost Orwellian.

PipeTobacco

Liz Hinds said...

PipeTobacco, I agree that I think we need Times or another serif font in books as the reading flows more easily. I find Arial a bit 'harsh'. Someone somewhere probably got paid a lot of money to work out the most accessible font.