Thursday, May 19, 2022

Storm troopers and life

First the regular George update. First the good news, since having two seizures in one day on Tuesday he's been seizure free. And he has a very good appetite.

But though he can walk reasonably well - except on slippery floors - if he tries to stand for any period of time - five seconds say - he falls down with a clunk. We keep telling him, "Either walk or sit, George!"

We have some new tablets now that may help reduce the frequency of seizures but it takes up to a month for it to settle and they may not work.

We are trying not to leave him alone. Of course at night we go to bed but, as has been shown, Husband will hear him if an attack starts. The diazepam is always at hand ready. 

I vary between thinking, "Are we being cruel? Are we keeping him alive for us?" and "Well, actually he seems quite happy now and we can't justify ending his life."

That said he has periods when he is agitated and barks for no apparent reason, and I wonder if he is suffering from mental distress. Then again, falling down, confusion and eating a lot could equally apply to me.

We did have sad news this morning. George's old friend, Willett, died. 

In other news, life has been busy as usual. Led Zac's on Tuesday, cooked on Wednesday, delivered food today, wrote and recorded my radio talk, all the normal things. Missing walks with George, and exercise class as both teachers are on holiday for almost all the month. Comfort eating plus lack of exercise equals a slightly podgy Liz. But I have better things to worry about at the moment.

I love this moment on a Thursday when I've recorded and sent off my talk and life settles down for a short while. I think I may join Husband in the garden this afternoon and sit and read. I could do something more useful but I can't be bothered! So there!

Also I've recently started playing Word Blitz. If you play do challenge me. I'm pretty rubbish so you're sure to win!

And did I tell you I spotted a storm trooper walking along the promenade the other day? Actually thinking about it, it was probably May 4th.



5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad to hear George is getting better, even with a few shaky moments still.

Boud said...

Yes, that worry about keeping him going. I've had to make decisions about a lot of animals and I've been guided by: is he mostly happy? Is he pain free? Is he eating and playing? I found this helped enjoy the days more than feeling worried and guilty.

Marie Smith said...

I can understand how you feel about George and keeping him going. It is a heart wrenching decision for sure. He sounds okay for now.

Polly said...

We love our pets so much and don't want to be parted from them, but I know from experience what you are going through. He seems ok now, you will know what to do for him.

Kathy G said...

I think when the time comes for George to cross the Rainbow Bridge it will be obvious. Until then, shower him with love.