Thursday, March 03, 2022

No, I said Dogger

By 8.45 this morning I was up, breakfasted, showered, dressed, and out. That's early for me. With the result that now, at 3.30 pm I am thinking it must be nearly bedtime. 

To keep myself awake and make myself feel I am doing something useful I'll do posts on various media about World Book Day - which is today.


The news came this week that children's author, Shirley Hughes, had died aged 94. She wrote many books for children including the great Alfie series but my favourite, which is still popular with my grandchildren, has to be Dogger

Dave loves Dogger and is broken-hearted when he loses him. Then he spots Dogger at the back of a stall at the school summer fete but another little girl buys him! Is this the end for Dave and Dogger?

The book is full of wonderful illustrations of familiar things.


P.S. I know both Daughter and Daughter-in-law were stressed over costumes for the children for school for World Book Day. I think mummies all over the country will be of similar mind. So here's an alternative approach as forwarded to me by Daughter:

https://blog.hurrahforgin.com/2017/03/01/topsy-and-tim-the-world-book-day-catastrophe/

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've never heard of dressing up in literary costumes for World Book Day -- I would have LOVED doing that as a kid! (Hell, I'd love to go to a WBD party NOW doing that!) The link was hilarious -- love the Peppa Pig costume kid!

Boud said...

That was hilarious! I hate the forcible dress up things. Especially for moms who are already on their last nerve with work and kids and shopping and you name it. How rarely are dads held responsible. My views may be colored by my hatred of a thousand suns for dress up!

Aside from that I have no strong feelings about it.

Except I'm in awe of your early rising today.

LL Cool Joe said...

My younger daughter was stressed about finding an outfit for her daughter to wear for book day. In the end she went as Marshall from Paw Patrol. Hardly a classic children's book and more of a popular TV programme, so I was pleased to hear that another little girl in my Granddaughter's class went dressed up as another character from Paw Patrol too. I was delighted that my Granddaughter chose to go as a male character, and not Skye the female dog in the programme. Young kids don't care about gender.