Saturday, October 09, 2021

Ladies of letters


I've been watching Ladies of Letters on Amazon over the past few months. I read the original book many years ago, and tried to listen to the radio series but found myself getting the women mixed up. I'm pretty sure there was a previous television serialisation - Patricia Routledge's face springs to mind - but this one stars Maureen Lipmann and Anne Reid.

Anne Reid will always be Valerie Barlow to me. When we first had a black and white television I would watch Coronation Street on it with my gran and mum, and still remember when Valerie met her death from a dodgy iron. Since then she's been in lots of things but I didn't know until yesterday that, in 2003, she starred in a film where she was Daniel Craig's older lover. In fact she was the mother of his girlfriend! I am viewing her in a new light.


P.S. Patricia Routledge and Prunella Scales starred in the radio version.


2 comments:

Boud said...

I just listened to some radio on YouTube of scales and routledge. Gosh they're so much like an email acquaintance who just dumped me. Funny and not, if you follow me. It's penetratingly accurate! I never heard of it before this blog post. Thank you!

Liz Hinds said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Boud!